The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has released draft guidance for businesses on making environmental and sustainability claims.
The draft guidance identifies eight practical principles which the ACCC encourages businesses to apply when making environmental claims.
There is an opportunity for businesses to provide feedback to the ACCC on the draft guidelines and on questions such as:
- What are you most unsure about when making environmental or sustainability claims?
- Do you feel confident that you know how to express an environmental or sustainability claim clearly and accurately?
- How do you decide which claims to make and what evidence you have to support those claims?
- What influences your decision on whether you make an environmental or sustainability claim?
- Are there environmental or sustainability claims in your industry that are concerning?
- Do you think this draft guidance will improve business confidence when making environmental or sustainability claims?
- Is there anything else you would like to have more guidance about?
Feedback on the draft guidelines is due by 15 September 2023. If you would like assistance with providing a submission to the ACCC on behalf of your business please get in touch.